Saturday, March 22, 2008

Yep...proof positive he has to come out one day!

31 weeks and 5 days along!!

Today we attended the Birthing Preparation class from 9am to 5pm…a long day but the class actually went by really fast! Our instructor was fantastic, she really made it an enjoyable experience for both of us! We started off the day by introducing ourselves to the group and sharing if we were going to do an un-medicated birth or use an epidural. Surprisingly (or not surprisingly I guess), out of everyone there, there was only 2 of us who planned to go un-medicated, myself being one of the two. My decision to do a non-medicated birth came from watching my dear friend Darcie give birth. She made it seem so empowering and natural I couldn’t help but to want it for my own birth. There are so many risks associated with epidurals that I just didn’t want to chance it. To me, it seems silly to go your whole pregnancy without so much as taking an aspirin and then to take all these different meds when you are so close to being done. There is also tons of stuff you can do un-medicated that you just can’t do when you have an epidural, like having the freedom to move around, walk, take showers, etc. You also aren’t hooked up to a bunch of machines so there isn’t as many bloops and bleeps :) Please, if you are someone that used medication, I am not being judgmental but any means, this is just my own personal opinion on myself! Birth is birth, no matter how you do it as long as you get a baby in the end that’s all that should matter! We then learned the different phases of labor, watched a natural birth story, a medicated birth story, and a cesarean birth story. We spent only about 10 minutes on breathing techniques and more so on pain coping skills to deal with contractions. We learned about different positions you can birth in and how much having a strong support system in the birthing room helps with your coping. Brad is going to have such a huge role in making this a special event for all of us! This may just bite me in the butt, but I am going to say it anyway…I am excited for the experience of birth and I can’t wait too finally have my little man in my arms :)