Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The little discovery


4 Weeks Along!!

I went to see Dr. Peterson and he did a small physical on me and recommended I take a blood test at the Lab and he would call me with the results in a couple of hours. I got my blood drawn and went home to try to get some sleep because I still felt really crampy and sick-like. A few hours passed and Dr. Peterson called me. He said my blood work came back pretty normal except one thing. I nervously asked what was wrong and he told me with a smile in his voice, “Your hCG levels are at 226 and they seem to be consistent with someone about 4 weeks pregnant!” Completely taken by surprise, I asked the common questions for a first time mother, “Are you sure? Could there be any mistake? When can I tell people??” Before I could get another question out of my mouth, he said let’s get an ultrasound and see if we could see anything. I scheduled an appointment with a radiology clinic in Folsom completely forgetting that I had Kaiser and could only go there…dang it! As soon as I got off the phone with Dr. Peterson, I called my wonderful hubby and spilled the beans before he could even get the word “Hello” out. I said, “Guess who’s gonna be a daddy??” Silence. I waited patiently for another millisecond and said, “Um. Babe?” Brad was still conscious and said “Woooow. Ok then.” After the initial shock wore off, he started to get a little bit more animated about it. After I got off the phone with him, I called my mom. I answered the phone with “Hello grandma!” She didn’t get it. So I said it again, “Hello GRANDMA” Still silence. I then said, “Mom, you are going to be a grandma” She belted out, “I AM??” She of course started to cry immediately. I wish I could have waited to do it in person, but I just couldn’t.