4 Weeks Along!!
After having a lapse in memory about being a Kaiser patient, I canceled my appointment in the Folsom Clinic and tried to see if there was any chance Kaiser had anything available for me today. Luckily, they did!! Brad and I hoped into our cars and jetted off to the Folsom Kaiser. An eternity passed and then they called my name…fear completely filled my body as I walked to the scale to get weighed. What if I am not really pregnant? That’s all that raced through my mind. She took me back to my exam room and had me pee into a cup so they could do a pregnancy test. I waited anxiously as I desperately tried to locate the positive result. The nurse and I squinted our eyes and told each other that we saw a line even though it was so barely visible it really needed a third opinion. Enter Bradley! He said he saw a line and that was good enough for me and the nurse. She took my blood pressure and body temperature and got the ultrasound machine ready. I got undressed and then in came my doctor, Dr. Fergerson. I was so anxious I couldn’t stand it any more! She inserted the ultrasound and the only thing she could see was that my uterus walls had thickened…a good sign that I really was pregnant. It was too early too see anything else unfortunately. She recommended that I take another blood test to see where my hCG levels were at and that I try to get another ultrasound at the Roseville Kaiser because they have more sophisticated machinery. She also set me up with another ultrasound appointment at 6 weeks along. At 7:30pm, we drove to the Roseville Kaiser Hospital with my mom. I was supposed to drink a ton of water before the appointment because they said they would be able to see more if my bladder was filled. I tried so hard to keep my bladder filled, but it just wasn’t happening. I went to the bathroom and then frantically tried to inhale as much water as I could before they called me back into the exam room. Finally, my name had been called! I can’t remember the radiologists name, so we’ll call her Cindy. Cindy came off abrasive from the get go because apparently she was never told that I was being “Squeezed into the schedule” Not my fault, but whatever, I was still trying to be nice at this point. She made me sign a waiver that mentioned that I would be doing my own…yes, MY OWN ultrasound insertion and she would take over once it was in. Um…was this safe?? There I go…carefully inserting this foreign object into a place I wasn’t all that familiar with since there was a baby in there and all. Finally, it was time for her to take over. She nastily said to me, “I have no idea why you are here. We can’t see anything.” I tried to tell her that my other doctor found a cyst on my right ovary and before I could get that all out she snapped, “I know why you’re here!” From that point onward, I kept my mouth shut. She huffed and puffed and told me that it was ridiculous for me to come here because it was too early. She then added salt to my ever-worry wound and said this could be an eptopic pregnancy and said that an eptopic pregnancy is one that the baby attached in the wrong place. Great. Like I needed THAT to worry about. As I was leaving the company of this “wonderful” nurse named Cindy, Dr. Fergerson called and left a message on my cell. She gave me some relief at least. She said that it is her suspicion that this is an early normal pregnancy and we would know more from the blood tests. I waited anxiously for my blood tests to come the next day…
